HOW COMMON PEOPLE BEHAVE WHEN IT COMES TO SETTING THEIR PASSWORDS:
In this digital era, where everyone is virtually connected, a text away, creating banking accounts, shopping online, have social media accounts with all their personal details in them and almost everything is being done online. Hence, we need to ensure that our personal information is protected as with using a virtual interface there comes a lot of privacy threats e.g. hacking and stealing money etc. For this reason, we need to use very strong passwords for every account we own on digital platforms.
Many of us feel reliable to use simple and concise passwords as they are easier to remember. But what is the use of a password which is easier to remember but couldn’t provide guaranteed security to your account and one can easily access your private information.
Moreover, many people also use the same password for all their accounts which is itself a very big mistake as again if one gets to know about the password then he may gain access to every account of yours.
Therefore, one should use strong passwords and for that they must follow the following rules:
RULES FOR SETTING STRONG PASSWORDS:
- Hackers are smart and professionals who can easily guess the standard passwords like ‘qwerty’, ‘12345678’ or ‘password’. Hence, refrain from using common terms as your passwords which are easy to guess.
- There are many online tools which can help you in telling how strong your password is. For example: The Password Meter. You can check your password’s strength from there accordingly.
- Update your passwords regularly for every account. This includes every minor extras to be included in your password i.e. the symbols, numerics, upper and lower case letters etc.
- It would be highly recommended if you go with ‘passphrases’, or phrases that are unique, long and easy to remember e.g. ‘Schoolingisthebestpart3106_yAy’ (For example, instead of using the letter ‘i’ in words, you can change it to the symbol ‘!’. Same way you can change letter ‘O’ to number ‘0’)
- The passwords must be complex and longer. Hence, brainstorm and set complicated passwords. It should contain at least ten characters.
- Fingerprints also serve best security so make sure to use fingerprints too.
- Never write down your password anywhere as it then makes it easier for the passwords to be stolen and used by someone else without your knowledge.
- You can use multi factor authentication along with password too as it gives an increased security to your accounts.
- Avoid using the same password for two or more devices, as hackers who gain access to one account and had invaded your privacy will try to use the same password to take control of others.
- Never give your password to anyone, not even your friend as password is something to be kept private.
- Beware of phishing attacks and make sure that the device and network you’re using is safe and reliable.
EXAMPLES FOR STRONG PASSWORDS:
Following are some password examples:
- @[email protected]
- [email protected]
- [email protected]
- [email protected]!sd!839
THE BEST PASSWORD MANAGERS FOR 2021:
Password managers offer you to create strong passwords and alert you of data leaks. You don’t need to remember unique and strong passwords for all your accounts. The password manager will store passwords for you and can also help you generate random and new ones.
- Keeper Password Manager & Digital Vault: It’s one of the dignified and security-first password management solutions which is available for all popular browsers and platforms.
- Zoho Vault: It is user-friendly and provides robust free plans for individuals, flexible business plans for teams and unlimited password storage.
- Dashlane: it’s a well-designed password manager that offers many security-focused extras for which you have to pay.
- LastPass: The LastPass Premium is very easy to use and has the capabilities of other top paid password managers.
- Bitwarden: The open-source Bitwarden’s free tier is capable of handling all expected password manager tasks with few limitations. You can enjoy features like storage, security and sharing tools, at extremely low prices.
- LogMeOnce Password Management Suite Ultimate: It offers a lot more features than other password managers but those features are not necessary. If you enable those features the product would become very expensive.
- Password Boss: It can perform all basic password management tasks and includes advanced features like password inheritance and secure sharing.
- NordPass: It helps you to import and store your passwords securely.
- 1Password: 1Password is an easy to use utility that syncs passwords and personal data across all your devices. It’s slightly not as capable as many other robust password managers.
- RoboForm 8 Everywhere: It adds new features like digital inheritance and secure file sharing to the venerable RoboForm’s password management and form filling capabilities, but it hasn’t quite caught up with the top products.
Hoping all your confusions are clear through this article and you will be taking care of all the rules stated above while setting passwords to your account. Be confident, as your private information will be safe from hackers and no you won’t be receiving any security threats only if you set strong and complicated passwords.