Many big organizations or companies are looking for a perfect software to organize their large amount of Salesforce data. This major issue has been resolved by Data Loader Software. A Data Loader Software provides various tools to import, export, delete, modify thousands of Salesforce data at once, in less time than usual. It uses CSV (Comma Separated Value) files. By using Salesforce Data Loader Software, you can quickly and easily get huge volumes of data into Salesforce, can provide some structure for all of your high volume Sales force data and can also track the transfer. You can also use it for moving large amounts of data around, such as between organizations or companies.
Features provided by Data Loader:
- A user friendly wizard interface supporting an interactive use for the clients
- Can support large files having 5 million records
- An alternate command-line interface for automated batch operations (Windows only)
- Support for all objects. For example: custom objects
- Drag-and-drop field mapping
- Flexibility to process data in both Salesforce and Database.com
- A built-in CSV file viewer
- Detailed error log files and success in CSV format
- Support for Mac and Windows
Following are some golden practices to keep in mind while getting your hands into this amazing software.
- Before you start deleting files, make sure to create a backup CSV file
- Test a small batch first, if you want to move large number of records
- For data import, make sure that sharing and profiles permissions are required.
- Try to run a test with a small subset of records. This way, manually verifying and opening will tell that the corresponding records are correct in Salesforce
Following are the tips for Preparing a File in Salesforce Data Loader:
- Login to your org.
- Open upon your account’s page.
- Click the edit button (Make sure to fill every field having asterisks.
- Fill the required fields and mandatory fields (which are ‘Account name’ and ‘Account currency’)
- Your field names must be correct enough to prepare an import file.
- You can export any of your records or add any of your records.
- While importing records, a data loader will read, extract, and load information from CSV files or from a database. Exported data can similarly be output to CSVs, and then added to another database elsewhere or kept as an Excel spreadsheet.
- Click on the Finish button and click Yes.
- An Excel spreadsheet will be opened where you can manage your data through multiple buttons and options.
- Make sure that your file must be in UTF-8 Format
- All records in a CSV file must have to be for the same object. Though a CSV file can have multiple records which we call as ‘batch’
- To process CSV files, ensure enabling Bulk API for Data Loader. Bulk API supports commas as delimiter. Make sure to check for it.
- If you’re updating a record, any fields that are not defined in the CSV file are ignored during the update
As mentioned, there are some clear frontrunners from the data loaders to choose from. These ones have high record limits, widely in use and they are low or free-cost, which is of course a lot reasonable and required for smaller as well as bigger businesses:
Salesforce Data Loader:
This is the default data loader app in Salesforce. It can be used as a local or web app. While the basic plan is free, it has paid plans with additional features.
XL-Connector: This plugin is for those who are willing to simply work in a spreadsheet. This tool allows you to pull your data off Salesforce, work on it in Excel, and sync it back into Salesforce. XL-Connector 365 is also available.
Salesforce Data Import Wizard:
The Import Wizard is a built-in data migration tool for smaller numbers of records. You can easily access it within your Salesforce Setup. Seeing how this is a native Salesforce app, the interface is recognizable to all users and it is quite easy to learn.
Jitterbit Data Loader:
This app is a part of the Jitterbit Harmony platform. Although it still does not have a designated web app, the desktop app is easy to install and use for all levels of users. It can also be used outside the platform for free.
This is a lot more modern and accessible spin on the native SFDC data loader. It provides a completely cloud-based solution with a more user-friendly UI. It is now acquired by Salesforce. Import and export can run through Dropbox, FTP (File Transfer Protocol), box and SFTP (Secure File Transfer Protocol).
You can use data Loader in the following ways:
- User interface—When you are using the user interface, you try to work interactively to specify and highlight the configuration parameters, CSV files used for export and import and the field mappings that map the field names in your import file with the field names in Salesforce.
- Command line (Windows only)—When you are using the command line, you specify the configuration, mappings, data sources and actions in files. This helps you to set up a Data Loader for automated processing.
Salesforce data loader software is a highly user-friendly and powerful software that can help you out to load large and huge amounts of contact and other type of data into Salesforce, making it a high quality data through tools so that you can gauge performance, personalize and organize your data for every time use.
Data loaders are a broad range of app, because some have been around for a long time as the User Interface shows it. But they still work fine and well. You have also got newer cloud-based options like downloader.io (dataloader.io is a unified solution that connects Salesforce to anything and is powered by MuleSoft’s Anypoint Platform)
If you are an admin, sandbox (isolate so that it can access only certain files, resources and programs within a computer system) a couple and see what feels right. If you’re a smaller business, you might be quite comfortable with one of the lesser known options on AppExchange.